We feel you… COSMEDIX has so many clean, clinical and luxurious skincare ingredients in our formulas that it can be hard to keep track! Today, we’re taking an insider’s look at some of your favorite age-defying skincare ingredients—what they are, their benefits and how they actually work on the skin—so that as you start to see results, you’ll understand not only the “what” behind your skincare products, but the “how.”
Overview: A true favorite of anyone after an age-defying complexion, Retinoids are derivatives of Vitamin A that help address skin concerns and encourage healthy skin renewal for a brighter, firmer-looking complexion. They vary in potency, from widely lauded Retinol, which is on the gentler side, to spa-exclusive, clinical-strength Retinoids that are designed to target more specific skin concerns.
- Minimize the appearance of common signs of aging
- Brighten and balance the look of skin
- Firm the appearance of skin for a youthful-looking complexion
How Retinoids Work: Retinoids absorb deep into the skin, helping to encourage healthy skin renewal. Retinoids help give skin a “plumping effect” for a reduced look of fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging. This skin-boosting ingredient can help support the complexion for an overall healthier, firmer, more radiant appearance.
Find Retinoids in COSMEDIX products like Serum 16 Rapid Renewal Serum, Refine Refinishing Treatment and our spa-exclusive COSMEDIX Elite line. Visit our Spa Finder to discover Elite at a spa near you!
2. Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs)
Overview: Often seen on an ingredient label as Lactic Acid or Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acids are a group of naturally occuring acids derived from fruit or plants that help exfoliate dead, dull skin for a smoother-looking complexion.
- Exfoliate dull, dry skin to help visibly improve the look of skin tone and texture
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots
- Draw out pore-clogging impurities
How AHAs work: These skin-loving exfoliators make it easier to buff away dull, dead skin and polish up the look of your complexion for a healthier, smoother appearance.
3. Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHAs)
Overview: Helpful in exfoliating the skin’s surface and removing deep pore-clogging impurities, Beta Hydroxy Acids, commonly seen on labels as Salicylic Acid, help reduce the appearance of blemishes for a clearer-looking complexion.
- Clarify the appearance of skin and help prevent future breakouts
- Remove deep pore-clogging impurities and balance oil production, helping to minimize the look of enlarged pores
- Exfoliate the surface of skin for a brighter, more even-looking complexion
- Provide oily, combination and blemish-prone skin types with gentle, targeted treatment
How BHAs Work: BHAs are oil-soluble, meaning they’re able to gently exfoliate and draw out pore-clogging impurities like dirt and excess oil for a more balanced appearance of skin. They also share much of the same structure as AHAs, making them a great choice for surface exfoliation.
4. Vitamin C
Overview: Vitamin C is a skincare superstar that helps visibly brighten and improve the look of skin tone and texture for a more vibrant-looking complexion.
Vitamin C Helps:
- Visibly brighten and firm the appearance of skin
- Even the look of skin tone and skin texture
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Protect skin from environmental stressors
How Vitamin C Works: Vitamin C plays a pivotal role in helping to protect the complexion from daily stressors and potential causes of premature aging.